Assemblymembers Chu and Muratsuchi Hosts Joint Oversight Hearing on Hate Crimes
August 8, 2018
CONTACT: Annie Pham (916) 319-2025
(SACRAMENTO, CA) – Assemblymember Kansen Chu and Assemblymember Al Muratsuchi hosted a hearing on hate crimes in California with participation from the California Department of Justice, the State Auditor, the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training, a respected academic researcher on hate crimes, and community leaders.
In May, as a result of an audit request spearheaded by Assemblymember Chu and approved by the Joint Legislative Audit Committee that Assemblymember Muratsuchi chairs, the Office of the California State Auditor released a report on hate crime enforcement in California. The audit found that some law enforcement officers were unaware of current law on hate crimes, hate crimes were being misreported, and refresher trainings were necessary to ensure that communities are protected.
“Hate crimes come with immediate and also lasting impacts to the victim and also those in the community,” said Assemblymember Kansen Chu (D-Milpitas). “The hearing brought together those who can make an impact on ways to address hate crimes and I am dedicated to continue this conversation to find sensible solutions.”
“The auditor’s report on hate crimes in California and today’s hearing focused on the need for leadership from the Legislature, the California Department of Justice, and local law enforcement to fight the statewide increase in hate crimes. I look forward to working with all stakeholders to combat hate and divisiveness,” said Assemblymember Al Muratsuchi (D-Torrance).
For more information on the audit report, visit https://www.auditor.ca.gov/pdfs/reports/2017-131.pdf.
The Assembly Select Committee on Hate Crimes and the Joint Legislative Audit Committee
Joint Oversight Hearing on Hate Crimes in California
August 7, 2018
California State Capitol, Room 4202
- Welcome and Opening Remarks By Committee Chairs
- Assemblymember Kansen Chu, Chair, Select Committee on Hate Crimes
- Assemblymember Al Muratsuchi, Chair, Joint Legislative Audit Committee
- Hate Crimes in California Audit Report Findings
- Professor Brian Levin, Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism, California State University, San Bernardino
- Elaine M. Howle, CPA, California State Auditor
- Regulations and Training on Hate Crimes
- Kevin Gardner, Chief, Division of Law Enforcement, California Department of Justice
- Kelli Evans, Special Assistant to the Attorney General, California Department of Justice
- Manuel Alvarez Jr, Executive Director, Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training
- Working with Community Leaders
- Jo Michael, Legislative Manager, Equality California
- Eric Harris, Legislative Advocate, National Association For The Advancement Of Colored People
- Yannina Casillas, Legislative and Government Affairs Coordinator, Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Greg deGiere, Civil Rights Advocate, The Arc of California
- Andrew Medina, California Policy Manager, Asian Americans Advancing Justice
- Nancy Appel, Associate Director, Anti-Defamation League
- Jeannette Zanipatin, Legislative Staff Attorney, Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Kolieka Seigle, President, California National Organization for Women
- Public Comments
- Closing Remarks By Chair & Select Committee Members